Easter Cake Recipe Poppy-seed Braid Recipe
For: 1 cake:
Baking time: 25 minutes.
Chill time: 2.5 hours
For the dough:
- Mix the flour, salt, raw sugar and yeast in a bowl. Add the butter, milk and egg and knead until it is a smooth dough.
- Cover with a dishcloth and let set for 1.5-2 hours (the dough size should double).
For the filling:
- Using a chopper or hand mixer, grind the poppy seed into a very fine, oily mass. Put the poppy seed, milk, sugar and cinnamon into a pot and allow it to simmer a few minutes until it thickens. Add the lemon zest and honey, mix, and allow to cool.
- Roll the dough out, making a rectangle, on a floured work surface and then spread the poppy seed mixture on top. Roll the dough up lengthwise. Cut the roll in half lengthwise using a knife, and then braid together so that the cut edge is up. Shape the braid into a round wreath and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment. Allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and then bake the braid for 25 minutes. Remove and cool on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Tip:Save time by buying ready-made poppy seed filling from the store.