Layered walnut cake with raspberry and cream cheese vanilla icing
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking/baking time: 30 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (390°F). Add 375 g butter, sugar and dark brown sugar into the bowl of a mixer and mix with the flat beater at medium speed for 10 minutes until the mixture is very light in color.
2. Whisk the egg, egg yoke, yogurt, rum and half of the vanilla. Then add the butter mixture and mix on low speed. Combine the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tartar and sift twice, then gently fold in.
3. Finely grind the walnuts in a food processor and fold into the batter. Spoon the batter into three 20 cm cake pans lined with baking paper and bake for 25-30 minutes until batter no longer sticks to a toothpick inserted in the middle. Remove and cool on a rack.
4. Add cream cheese, the rest of the butter, powdered sugar and the rest of the vanilla into the bowl of a mixer and mix with the flat beater at medium speed for 10 minutes until the mixture is very light in color.
5. Spread one-third of the icing on one cake, smooth it out and then top it with a small bowl of raspberries. Place a second cake layer on top of that and repeat the process. To finish, cover the last cake with the remaining icing. Serve with the rest of the raspberries.
NOTE FROM THE PROFESSIONAL CHEF: It is especially important to sift the flower with this cake, because it makes the batter rise flat, making it easier to stack the cakes on top of each other. If your cake pieces should nevertheless have different heights, simply cut off the high points with a bread knife.