Chocolate Mousse with Citrus Fruit
For 4 - 6 people
Prep time: 35 min. + 3 hr. to chill
1. Chop the chocolate into bits and melt in a bowl set in warm water and stir frequently. Be careful that the water temperature does not get too hot; it should be about 50°C (122°F).
2. While the chocolate melts, beat the whipping cream until stiff using a hand mixer. Do not overbeat. It should have a creamy consistency. Chill the whipped cream.
3. Using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs over hot, but not boiling, water until they are frothy and slightly thickened, about 5 min.
4. Fold the melted chocolate into the eggs using a whisk, gently fold in the whipped cream, and flavor the mousse with orange liqueur. Pour the mousse into a bowl or sealable container, cover and chill at least 3 hours.
5. Peel oranges and grapefruits using a paring knife so that the white skin under the peel is also removed. Cut the fruit into very thin slices (about 0.5 mm). Chop the pistachio nuts.
6. Arrange the citrus fruit slices on the plates. Dip a soup spoon into hot water, dry it and then scoop a ball of chocolate mousse. Place the scoop on the fruit, sprinkle with pistachio nuts and a bit of cocoa powder and serve immediately.